Saturday, October 17, 2015

O'brien Family

10.5.15
This week went by so quick! This is the last week before transfers, and I have a pretty good feeling that I will be leaving this area. It will be interesting to see what happens next:) I am determined to finish strong in this area, and make sure that the new elder who comes in to this area can hit the ground running. 
  This week we were again able to see the O'brien family. My favorite lesson we had with them was when we taught them the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We were teaching them about having faith in Jesus Christ and the doctrine of repentance. It was really cool, because after we taught what is means to truly repent Katy (the wife) told us about her experience in the last month of starting to live the principles of the gospel. She told us that in her past when she had done something bad, she knew it was bad, but had never really felt guilt. Well after she started changing her life and learning about the principles of the gospel she started to really feel the weight of her sins. As she continued to change her life and come to church she started to feel the spirit and truly repent. It was wonderful to hear her experience and to see the gospel of Jesus Christ and the Atonement shape her into a whole new person. I love seeing people find true happiness, that can only be found in living the principles taught by our Savior. We are just praying that they will start reading the scriptures and feel of the power of the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon and the spirit are what will really convert them. Katy also prayed for the first time with us! It was a beautiful, and very sincere prayer. As we have been teaching the O'briens I have again been reminded of the power of teaching part-member families. Even though the husband is a member, because he hasn't been to church in a long time, he too is learning a lot. He also is able to testify to his wife about the principles we are teaching, which is strengthening not only his wives testimony, but his own too. Also when we leave, he can help answer any questions or concerns his wife has. It is a wonderful process to watch and be part of. 
  General conference was also amazing this weekend! All of the talks were wonderful, and the spirit was strong the whole conference. What a blessing it is to have modern prophets and apostles who guide us through revelation. I loved the over all themes of conference. A lot of the speakers talked about the importance of listening and following the promptings of the spirit. I loved elder Lawrence's talk about kneeling in prayer and asking "What lack I yet? I also like how he talked about how the spirit will always be honest with us, and is not afraid to tell us what we need to hear, even when those around us won't. I also loved all of the talks about keeping the commandments, and specifically keeping the Sabbath day holy. I look forward to re-watching/ re-reading all of the talks.

  I apologize that this is a shorter email, but I was having a hard time putting my thoughts into words today:) I love you all and pray for your safety and success ever day. Have a great week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment